Our original plan was to only visit Ilocos Norte and Ilocos Sur but when we reviewed the map going back to Manila, we noticed that Sagada was not far from where we were. We talked about visiting Sagada even before we got back to the Philippines but we never really made any solid plans, so when we saw the opportunity that we can also visit Sagada on the way back to Manila, we did not hesitate.
We started our research immediately and found out that we can directly go to Sagada from Vigan without a stop over in Baguio. The trip to Sagada from Vigan consisted of 5 commutes via bus, vans and finally a jeepney. It may sound overwhelming but we gained an experience that we will never forget plus it saved us 3 hours of travel time.
Ilocos to Sagada road trip:
1. Bus: Vigan to Bitalag P150 each 1 ½ hours
- Partas bus liner can be found near Vigan market. Inform the ticket officer that your final destination will be in Sagada, so they can assist you if you have further questions.
2. Van: Bitalag to Cervantes P150 each 1 ½ hours
3. Van: Cervantes to Abatan P70 each 1 hour
4. Van: Abatan to Bontoc P70 each 1 hour
5. Jeep: Bontoc to Sagada P45 each 45 minutes
Total: P 485 5 hours 45 minutes
1. You will ride the bus headed to Cubao so don’t get confuse. Just inform them that Bitalag will be your stop and to kindly drop you off near the terminal of vans leaving for Cervantes. Bus headed to Cubao leaves every hour in Partas.
2. Start your day early. If you can’t make it in time for the 11 am van schedule, you will have to wait for the next van schedule which is 1 pm. 4 pm is the last trip of the day for the vans leaving for Abatan.
3. There is a lot of waiting around involved so have a snack ready.
4. Enjoy the ride. Chances are you will not use this route again on your next trip to Sagada, so relax, take a deep breath and smell the fresh air. You will see a lot of beautiful scenery especially during the jeepney ride to Sagada.